What is LEADER?
LEADER is a community-led rural development programme which aims to improve the quality of life and prosperity in rural communities through locally driven rural development initiatives and projects.
In the Yorkshire Dales the LEADER Programme has been set up to build a sustainable community and economy that capitalises on the area’s environment, landscape, culture and heritage.
How is YDMT involved?
LEADER is a multi-agency partnership which brings together people from the voluntary sector, public bodies and private businesses. In the Yorkshire Dales area this partnership is led by the Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust. Rima Berry is our Dales LEADER co-ordinator.
LEADER funding is being made available through the Rural Development Programme for England, which is jointly funded by Defra and the European Union.Find out more about European Funding.
What has LEADER done?
The Yorkshire Dales LEADER Programme distributed £2.7 million for community-driven and wide-benefiting projects in the Yorkshire Dales area between 2009 and 2013. The programme has supported community led actions within three broad areas of activity:
- Development of innovative community service provision to meet the needs of the local population.
- Promotion and development of village regeneration and local community identity.
- Conservation and upgrading of the rural heritage.
Yorkshire Dales LEADER 2014-2020 The Yorkshire Dales LEADER Programme will distribute £2.232 million for rural projects benefiting the area and its communities over five years.
Grants will support distinctive and innovative partnership projects that promise to bring lasting economic benefits to rural areas and communities within five key areas:
Applications will be considered in the order that they are received. To find out more visit the Yorkshire Dales LEADER website www.yorkshiredalesleader.co.uk
- Dales Farm Capital Grant Scheme
- Forestry Capital Grant Scheme
- Sustain and Enhance Rural Services Grant
- Yorkshire Dales Tourism, Heritage and Culture Capital Grant
- Micro, Small Enterprise and Farm Diversification Capital Grant