Apprenticeships & Trainee jobs
Passionate about the environment? Start your career as an Environmental Apprentice or Woodland Trainee and get paid work experience and training with organisations in the Yorkshire Dales, Cumbria or Nidderdale.
Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust (YDMT) has exciting opportunities for young people with a love of the outdoors and a passion for the environment. We are recruiting for Environmental Apprentices and one Woodland Trainee to work with employers in the Yorkshire Dales, south Cumbria and Nidderdale, where you will gain hands-on work experience and training alongside experienced staff.
What do the roles offer?
- 12-18 months of work experience and training, starting February 2021
- Opportunities with: Cumbria Wildlife Trust (Kendal), DTMS (contractors – Fellbeck near Pateley Bridge), Dinsdale Moorland Specialists (Wigglesworth, near Settle) and Moor and Valley Ltd (Nidderdale)
- A variety of different positions - please read the full job descriptions for more details
- Access to a personal training budget of up to £3k to gain a range of relevant certificated skills
- Environmental Apprenticeships also include study for Level 2 Countryside Worker qualification at Craven College
- Salary – above the minimum apprenticeship rate plus help with transport costs for training days.
- Hours of work vary by position, but will normally be between 35 and 40 hours per week. Time spent at college or training is included in these hours – not extra.
What can you expect?
We’ve got exciting Environmental Apprenticeships and one Woodland Trainee role on offer, based with four different organisations. Each role is different, and the experience you gain and training will vary. All of the positions offer the opportunity to work in the outdoors and make a difference to the environment. You will also gain knowledge and learn new skills, try new things and discover what you’re really interested in doing. Please read the job descriptions to find out more about each role.
Training and learning
Most of your learning will be done on-the-job with your employer – where you’ll get the chance to develop a range of skills. You will also have access to a personal training budget of up to £3k to gain certified skills relevant to your role. Courses might include: Chainsaw, Brushcutter and Pesticide use, ATV driving, B+E Trailer tests, Outdoor First Aid, Drystone walling, as well work and life skills, money management and many more to add to your CV.
Environmental Apprentices also study at Craven College for Level 2 Countryside Worker qualification, with classes approximately two days per month for the first year.
The Environmental Apprenticeship scheme and Woodland Traineeship are delivered by Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust (YDMT), and you will have lots of opportunites to get to know the YDMT team and get involved in our charitable work. This might include being part of our Green Futures Youth Forum, becoming a YDMT Ambassador or getting involved other projects that interest you.
An Apprenticeship or Traineeship can be life changing. Many of the young people who have completed theirs are now working in permanent roles with their employer; others have used their skills and experience to get jobs with organisations in a similar field, and some have gone on to higher education. It's a fantastic way to gain skills and experience to start your career in the environment sector. Watch our video to find out more.
Who can apply?
To apply you must be 16-24 years old, and if you are applying for the Environmental Apprenticeship roles must not already have a qualification in a similar field.
The scheme provides opportunities for young people who live in our local rural areas to stay living and working here. Opportunities are available to young people in the wider Yorkshire Dales area, Nidderdale and South Cumbria. We may also consider applications from people who live within a few miles of these areas.
Please get in touch if you are unsure, or to find out more.
Find out more
When applying please let us know which role you are applying for, one of two Environmental Apprenticeships with Cumbria Wildlife Trust (CWT), DTMS or Dinsdale Moorland Specialists (DMS) or the Woodland Trainee role with Moor and Valley Ltd.
Outlines of the positions available:
- Cumbria Wildlife Trust (CWT) - Apprentice Northern Nature Reserve Officer (based at Gosling Sike, Houghton)
- Cumbria Wildlife Trust (CWT) - Apprentice Conservation Officer (based at Plumgarths, near Kendal)
- DTMS Group (based at Pateley Bridge)
- Dinsdale Moorland Specialists (based at Wigglesworth, Settle)
- Woodland Trainee with Moor and Valley Ltd
Yorkshire Dales Millennium Trust
You can also call Jo Boulter our Apprenticeships Co-ordinator for an informal chat on 015242 51002.