Meadow Makers

Meadow Makers continues our vital work to restore the network of species-rich meadows across the Forest of Bowland.

Stephen Park meadows in the Forest of Bowland

Stephen Park meadows in the Forest of Bowland

Meadow Makers continues our vital work to restore the network of species-rich meadows across the Forest of Bowland – providing new homes for bees, butterflies and other pollinators and helping to safeguard some of our most rare native wildflowers.

Creating wildflower meadows on a large scale

In 2021-22 meadow restoration in the Forest of Bowland will be delivered through Plantlife's Meadow Makers Project. 

Meadow Makers aims to reverse the alarming decline of meadows that has seen 97% eradicated and the remaining 3% teetering on the brink of extinction. Following a successful bid to the Green Recovery Challenge Fund Plantlife's wide-scale meadows restoration initiative will provide a prime platform for wildflowers and wildlife to make a stunning recovery in Cornwall, Cumbria, Devon, Sussex, Herefordshire, Lancashire, and Wiltshire. 

As a lead partner in the project our role is to carry out 25 hectares of meadow restoration work at 11 sites in the Forest of Bowland area. Using a combination of "green hay" and brush harvested seed from our donor meadows, the meadow restoration work in the Forest of Bowland continues into its tenth year. Find out how meadow restoration works

The Project also provides funding for a trainee 'Meadow Maker' - a six-month traineeship with Plantlife working with our project officer Carol, aimed at encouraging young people into conservation work.

We will also be running meadow related events, both on site and online, over the course of the project, raising awareness of the work we do in the meadows and why it is so important.

 


Find out more 

Hay meadow restoration in the Forest of Bowland       Bee Together